For the most part, IAM is considered a set of IT operations tasks associated with a specific business unit or application. Executives realize that identity management is important but they delegate the details to others.
This laissez faire attitude is understandable but ESG believes it is about to change in a big way. IAM will evolve from an IT administrator to executive management issue over the next few years.
This white paper concludes:
- Enterprise IAM was built on the back of "IT balkanization"
- IAM silos are creating an operations nightmare
- IAM issues pose increasing security risks
- IAM must support applications as they move to the cloud
- Large organizations need to think in terms of a hybrid enterprise IAM architecture